Have you ever woken up in the morning, gone to grab your coffee or tea and looked in the mirror and thought – who is this person? That has been me recently! Ever since my 4 year old son had his tonsils removed, sleep is something that is not happening in my house. I have had large bags and major puffy eyes, which is not pretty.
So I started looking into natural and pure ways to reduce my eye puffiness so I can go out to the world and not be embarrassed with how I look. When you meet and see people for the first time, they look directly into your eyes and boy I did not want them thinking that I look like a hot mess that hasn’t slept.
The great thing about some of these remedies is that you can make a snack and then use part of what you made to lay down and take some time for yourself! So here are 10 Natural and Pure Remedies to Reduce Eye Puffiness to help give you some confidence in your face:
1. Head to your Fridge and Drink MORE Water
An easy, free and efficient way to help with the puffiness of your eyes is to simply drink water. It’s such a simple way to keep your body hydrated and flush out toxins. A few reasons for the puffiness is due to being dehydrated, eating salty foods and drinking caffeinated and or carbonated beverages. Drinking about 8-10 glasses of water each day can help with eye puffiness as well as perfect the look of your skin and help you feel better.
2. Cold Cut Up Cucumber Slices (for your eyes and as a snack – Win Win)
These are best when taken straight from the Fridge so they are cold. Just cut these into 2 thick pieces to cover your entire eye area. Enjoy relaxing for 10-15 minutes while these do their work! Cucumbers have Astringent properties and enzymes that help to reduce any inflammation, while also tightening the skin. You can repeat this process as many times as you want during the day and what a great excuse to relax as well as eat a healthy snack!
3. Chilled Spoons (clean ones only)
Take two Metal Spoons and run them under very cold water for a few minutes, or put them in the freezer until extremely cold. Once they are cold, enjoy another excuse to relax and lie down for about 1 minute with the spoons over your eyes. The extreme cold will help reduce the puffiness. Another benefit of this is that since these are SO cold, they will shock your body and give you some energy! So not only are you helping your eyes, but you get to wake up a little!
4. Raw Uncooked Potatoes (any kind or color)
Sounds odd but the Starch in the Potatoes has anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce puffiness and under eye bags. Interesting enough it will also help reduce dark circles under your eyes. And while prepping these potatoes for your eyes, you can make a side dish with the other potatoes!
Here are the steps to use the potatoes:
- Peel, Wash and completely dry a Medium size Potato (any kind and color)<a/li>
- Grate the potato and put the grated potato shavings in a clean and dry cloth and make sure it is sealed or tied shut. you wouldn’t want potato shaving all over your eyes….
- Place the dry potato shavings cloth over your eyes and relax for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat this with new potato shavings a few times a day until you see the reduction of the puffiness of your eyes (if you have any left from cooking the rest for dinner)
5. Any brand Chamomile, Green or Black Tea Bags
You can use either Chamomile, Black tea or Green tea bags for this remedy as they both will help reduce the puffiness of your eyes. One of the reasons this will reduce the puffiness is because of some anti-irritant components in the tea. The best way to bring out these components is to follow these steps:
- Soak two tea bags in hot water for approximately 5 minutes ( you can use that water to enjoy some tea while you relax with these over your eyes)
- Take the tea bags out and chill them in the fridge. You can put them in the freezer for a quicker way to cool them.
- Take the chilled tea bags and enjoy some time to lay down and relax and put the tea bags over each eye with a clean cloth.
- Relax and let the tea bags do their magic for about 10-15 minutes
- Repeat as many times a day as necessary to get desired results and enjoy a nice warm cup of tea
6. Hemorrhoid Cream ( sounds odd, I know but works)
This is a secret trick that makeup artists use on their clients. Supermodels or anyone on camera who doesnand don’t want puffy or dark circle eyes and yes it sounds odd but works! Let’s face it, Hemorrhoids are hemorrhoids and a joy of motherhood, but hopefully you won’t experience this anytime in your life!
WHY IT WORKS because it tightens the puffy areas and helps reduce wrinkles. If the scent of the cream is too strong, you can mix this with your regular moisturizer and rub around your eyes. Make sure to be extremely careful to not get any in your eyes. It will burn like crazy and will be super uncomfortable!
7. Aloe Vera Plant (not the aloe vera gel)
Word of caution when using aloe vera around your eyes – be extremely careful as to not get any in your eyes. Aloe Vera is known for its Vitamin E and antioxidants to aide with swelling and puffiness from anything from sunburns to puffy eyes. It increases the circulation of the blood flow around the eyes and helps to get rid of fluids around the eyes. Its a great plant to just have and grow in your yard for all sorts of other benefits!
8. Whole Milk ( the kind with all the good fats)
Whole Milk contains fat that is rich in proteins, vitamins A & D, amino acids & lactic acids. All these help to aide in the puffiness of the eyes. All you need to do is soak a clean towel in cold whole milk and lay down with the towel on your eyes for 10-15 minutes. It’s that simple!
9. Egg Whites (cage-free, regular or any kind you have in your fridge)
This seems odd but egg whites have skin-tightening components in them to help reduce the puffiness as well as help prevent wrinkles. While making this concoction, might as well make some breakfast!! Here are the steps to use for the egg whites:
- Take two eggs and separate the yolks from the whites
- Whip the whites completely until you get a firm consistency.
- Add a few drops of witch hazel to the egg whites. (Witch hazel is a great astringent to use as well on a cotton pad and place over your eyes for 10 minutes for people that suffer migraines. So just an added tip from one sufferer to another.)
- Use a soft cloth or soft brush to apply the witch hazel and egg mix under your eyes
- Allow it to completely dry which will take about 10-15 minutes
- Once dry, wash face with lukewarm water to remove mixture and reapply as needed
10. Strawberries (Yummy)
What a great fruit to be able to enjoy as well as use on your eyes! Sounds like a deal to me! These red beauties carry an alpha hydroxy acid in them that helps with puffy eyes and can help smooth the skin around the eyes! Here is how to get these beauties to do their magic:
- Cut the top off 4 strawberries (2 for your eyes and 2 to eat)
- cut 2 of the strawberries in half so now you will have 4 pieces
- place these under you Closed eyes and relax for 10 minutes
- enjoy the rest of the berries while relaxing
These 10 Pure and Natural ways to reduce eye puffiness are here for you to use and figure out which of these methods works best for you. Another good tip to conclude this is to get a great nights sleep. Being tired will also create puffiness so in conclusion to all these remedies, get a good nights sleep and enjoy some time to relax!! I would love to hear your comments on these remedies and let me know which worked best for you and please share any tips you have for any other recipes to help us all look youthful and refreshed!!!!!